Thursday, May 20, 2010

Philly sports AKA an excuse to throw batteries at Santa

In response to the Philly sports post by my biffle Beckles I think it is only appropriate that I write one too. I guess my take on the Philly sports phenomenon.

I didn't grow up in Philly, I grew up in the Boston area. Not even in Massachusetts, but the area so I was a Red Sox/Celtics/Bruins/Patriots fan. It was not until i moved to PA for college that any of these teams started to win, but even by then I was being turned. The Philies/76ers/Flyers/Eagles were starting to turn me. Philly fans are wild and their enthusiasm is infectious. Then the Phillies won the World Series and it was all over. Philly sports franchises had me and were not letting me go. Did I run into the streets and start rioting with my fellow Philadelphians? no. I can proudly say that I did not. I watched the game and cheered, but I did not take to the streets causing mayhem and destruction. But when the Flyers beat the Bruins I was cheering on Philly instead of Boston. Again, didn't really celebrate or even go anywhere to watch. Okay I didn't even watch it, but I heard it, looked at the website and got excited. What can you expect? I am a geek remember. I am not a hard core fan of sports, which I guess is why I could be swayed from team to team, but Philly fever is crazy and it is hard to ignore!

No comments:

Post a Comment