Friday, May 7, 2010

NPR is the cat’s pajamas! The bees knees! Just good stuff!

In honor (somewhat) of confession Friday over at Modgblog, one of my favorite blogs on the interwebs, I am going to make another geeky confession. I am totally in love with NPR. National. Public. Radio. In case you grew up Amish or live in a bubble, NPR is government funded and viewer sponsored, almost entirely talk, and pretty much bent on educating the masses. It’s like PBS but on the radio and I am a huge sucker for it. I could (and have been known to) listen to it for hours. I subscribe to podcasts, I read some of the online content, I would be a member if I listened to it as much as I used to.

There’s the rub, I used to listen to it every single day for several years. Whenever I was in my car I would list to NPR. NPR in my car – it even rhymes! Most of my friends hated taking trips with me driving because instead of music I would almost always have NPR on and be listening to whichever show was on at the time. But, when I moved into the big city, all of that changed. The trade off for the city life was that I started taking public transportation and I sold my car. To my brother. In California. That’s a whole other story that I will get in to another time. Just trust me, I will never see that car again.

Of course, it makes total sense. Living in a city with the awesome public transportation system that Philly has there is no reason to be clogging up the streets with another car that I would hardly ever use. I would be paying for really high insurance, being my age and living in a city know for bad drivers, having to worry about parking, the dreaded and evil PPA, not to mention gas and all the maintenance costs of a car. I now just have to pay for a SEPTA pass or tokens and I am good to go. I pay for an occasional bus ticket to NYC or plane ride to further places, and it the long run I save a lot of money. For the times I need a car I have PhillyCarShare, which is an awesome service that I can rent a car at any time for a few hours at minimal cost and maximum convenience. But, with all of these pluses, one of the biggest minuses is that I do not get to spend my quality time listening to all my friends on NPR.

I remember in college I would listen to Car Talk on Sundays on my way to play rehearsal (something else I will tell you about in another post). I would listen to “Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me!” and laugh with Paula Poundstone and/or Mo Rocca on my way to that mall on Saturdays or The NPR new programs on my way to work in the morning. That is one of the only things I miss about living in the places I used to live. I try to listen to my favorites while cooking dinner at home, but I can barely hear it over the sounds of cooking and I can’t really pay attention or I burn things.

Maybe as a treat to myself I will start putting aside time to listen to these great programs. It is so nice to listen to that stuff, and I’m always learning new things when I do, which is always a plus in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment