Saturday, September 24, 2011

Is my Yuppy showing? or is that my geeky?

One thing I have started to become very into over the last few months are podcasts. I may be late to the game when it comes to the magic and wonder that are podcasts, but let me just say that THEY ARE AWESOME and have totally changed my life. Okay that's a bit much, but they are awesome. I love listening to a good podcast when I am walking home from work (two and a half miles! Yeah!) or at the gym on the elliptical (usually when I miss the class I usually take). Here are some of my favorites that I listen to all the time:

This American Life – this show is always different but always really interesting and entertaining. It can be funny or sad or thought provoking, but I never regret listening to it. Also, Ira Glass, the host, has one of the best radio voices ever. There is something about it that I just can’t get enough of. I could listen to him for hours, but he’s only the anchor, he doesn’t do most of the stories *sads*. A spin-off from This American Life is the podcast How to Do Everything. It’s usually a lot shorter, only twenty minutes, and covers random topics regarding how to do things like make sausage, run a 5k, or talk to your congressional representative. It’s pretty cool and is very similar in tone to This American Life, but a little lighter and more eclectic.

The Nerdist – being the self identified nerd that I am I love this podcast. It is always nerdy and always funny. I don’t know how Chris Hardwick does it, but he is friends with huge, huge stars and will get them to come on the show. He’s had everyone from the Muppets, to the guys from MST3K to Sir Patrick Stuart. He also almost always has two co-hosts, Jonah Ray and Matt Mira, both really funny people and working comedian/writers. There is a Nerdist TV show airing on BBC America this evening after Dr. Who, and if all goes well it will turn into a regular thing. If I still had cable I would totally watch it, but since I don’t I will promote in anyway I can. I may even tweet it for more publicity for them. That’s how much I like these guys. I may not have a wide audience, but at least I try right?…

Skeptics Guide to the Universe – This one appeals to my geeky science-y side. The podcast is produced and hosted by members of the New England Skeptical Society and talks all about how so many things people believe in are total bunk and some are even dangerous. My favorite parts are when they call out just bad science - anything from popular topics like acupuncture or psychic powers to improperly done research. I always like when they play a game called Fact or Fiction where Steve, the main host, names two real science news topics and one fake one and the other hosts have to try to guess which one is the fiction. It sounds really geeky, but I love it.

There are more, but that’s enough for now. I highly recommend them as they make my commute and downtime so much better and more entertaining. I even learn some stuff sometimes too, which is always a plus right?

No comments:

Post a Comment