Friday, September 16, 2011

I can't believe flexitarian is a thing and I may be one

I have heard the term “flexitarian” thrown around and at first I scoffed and thought that it was one of the most idiotic things ever. I mean, why does there need to be a term for someone who eats meat but occasionally has meals without meat? Well, after thinking about it for a little while, I began to realize that I may have judged the term and stuck the idea with it. I still think that the term (and the need for one) is kinda dumb, but the idea may be a good one. And, the more I gave the idea a chance, the more I thought that it sounded like a good one for me to try.

I have been attempting eat a little more healthily and have been more conscious of the caloric content of my meals. Because of this I have begun seeing if I can make many of meals vegetarian and some even vegan. I still eat meat of all kinds, and I have no ethical objection to consuming pretty much anything as long as I don’t think torture of cruelty was involved (like ortolan and I always research my foie gras to make sure it is humane like from Hudson Valley Farm). I am conscious that it is more sustainable to be a vegan or vegetarian, but I don’t think that is a compelling enough reason for me to give up meat altogether. Especially because I would worry about my protein consumption and my estrogen levels if I was a vegetarian. I don’t really participate in Meatless Mondays either, because I usually need meat after a hard Monday, but Tuesday and/or Wednesday may be meatless for me.

I guess my real point is that I need to stop judging things because of what they are called. Good ideas are just good ideas no matter what name people give them. Something about judging a book yadda yadda yadda… whatevz people are still dumb.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't even heard of this. I guess we like to give everything a definition and/or a name...but really?

    ReplyDelete